The complete guide to Kratom drug test
Kratom is a very potent drug that is relatively new and unknown in the US. So, naturally, the issue of how you can test for its presence in the body is still being studied and debated. One reason why not much has been advanced in coming up with a drug test is that Kratom is not a banned drug in the US. in this article, I look at issues touching on a drug test for Kratom. But let’s first look at what Kratom is, what it does, and how it works.
What is Kratom?
It is a tropical coffee tree that grows in Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand. It is also grown in the Philippines and New Guinea. Growing to be as tall as 25 meters, it is a special tree that yields leave the size of a man’s palm when fully grown. These leaves are elliptical in shape, more like hearts, and they feature an underside covered with hair-like growth.
It is these leaves that have drawn the interest of the local people who have used them for centuries to uplift mood, fight pain, achieve mental focus and boost energy with the rest of the world hardly having a clue about it. These leaves which are bitter to the taste, contain psychoactive compounds that deliver these effects to users. It was also relied on as an aphrodisiac. Today the use of Kratom has spread beyond Eastern Asia and is now used by thousands in the west.
Status in the US
Kratom is legal in the US and can be bought online or from various vendors like gas stations. Kratom use has spread fast and wide 9 pm hmm 2 and is now used for many benefits such as
- Anti leukemic
- Boost energy
- Boost libido
- Enhance cognition
- Improve mood
- Treat opiate withdrawal
- Lower blood sugar
- Pain relief
- Relieve insomnia
- Strengthens immune system
Why the need for kratom drug tests
Kratom drug tests may be necessary for such places as the workplace when companies want to determine if employees are abusing drugs. It can help in ensuring safety at the workplace, investigating poor productivity or in supporting counseling and rehabilitation of troubled workers.
Some companies have a drug free company policy which they enforce at the workplace, so routine testing is usually done. Think of pilots steering a plane or workers operating heavy machinery.
Even though Kratom is not illegal in the US, companies may reserve the right to institute such policies at the workplace. They may even do this with legal prescription drugs.
How long before visible kratom effects appear after intake?
Before doing a kratom drug test, there are some effects which can give a clue to the drug’s presence. You won’t have to wait long before you or a person who has taken Kratom begins to show signs of Kratom use. Typically, effects start to kick in about 10 to 15 minutes within taking the drug. The duration of the effects will be dictated by the amount of dose taken. About 2 hours of the effects will elapse for a small dose while the effects of a large dose will go on for about 8 hours
For small dose users, which is about less than 5 gm of the raw leaves, signs may include stimulant effects such as the following
- Enhanced energy and alertness
- Increased libido
- Reduced appetite
- Greater sociability
Negative signs for a low dose user may include
- Coordination difficulties
These stimulant signs can seem similar to those of amphetamine
High dose effects of Kratom resemble those of opioids. They include
- Pain reduction
- Cough suppression
These positive effects mimic the ones you get with morphine, but with less intensity, There are also negative effects of high dose kratom which include
- Itching etc
Apart from these dose-dependent effects and signs, one can also experience effects that are regardless of dose. These can happen when Kratom is combined with other psychoactive drugs, which can lead to dangerous results like seizures.
To be able to detect a drug’s presence in a person, one has to consider the cut-off level. This is the least amount of the drug you should find in a sample for you to determine a positive test. A negative test, however, does not mean that the drug is not present.
Can one evade detection in a kratom drug test?
Many of the standard drug tests that are used to catch opioids and other substances won’t detect Kratom. Some of these standard drug standard panels include tests for opiates, amphetamines, cocaine, PCP (SHAMSHA 5) and cannabinoids. However there are some blood and urine tests, including the 10-panel kratom drug test, that can detect some kratom alkaloids
Types of test
Kratom urine tests – A urine test is usually the most preferred way to test for a drug. But can Kratom be detected in your urine after you have used it? Researchers are still building effective ways and reliable methods of finding out. Some Kratom alkaloids could show up in your urine based on some types of urine tests.
Kratom blood tests – Kratom could be easily detected in blood in theory. Heavy or prolonged use of Kratom should yield clues in your blood in the form of kratom metabolites. However, blood tests are not as preferred as urine tests. This is because it is an invasive method and that they have a very short window for detection.
Kratom hair tests – Hair tests typically focus on the follicles and is usually a favorite strategy employed for many drug tests. This is usually because it is a reliable method and can be carried out for extended periods. Currently, however, there is no evidence for Kratom metabolites showing up on hair follicles. More research, however, is needed to know if a testing method using hair follicles is possible.
Kratom saliva tests -You could, in theory, detect Kratom in a saliva test. Many drug tests employ oral fluid tests, usually for legal drug tests. This test, however, is hardly done for Kratom in the US since Kratom is legal.
How long before Kratom clears from your body?
Kratom has not been extensively studied, so its half-life is somewhat shrouded in mystery. It is widely believed to be around 23 or 24 hours for mitragynine; it’s the main active ingredient. This means a person will take one day for his body to clear 50% of the Kratom present in his body. It would, therefore, take about 5 days for this substance to fully clear from the body.
On the other hand, the alkaloid element in Kratom with the shortest half-life is slightly above 7 hours, which means about 1.6 days are needed for full elimination. So the total estimated days for elimination of all Kratom is about 9 days if we consider the slower side of the range of half-lives of Kratom elements.
Other factors to consider that affect the length of time Kratom stays in your body and therefore making it potentially detectable in a kratom drug test are
- Age – younger people tend to clear Kratom faster from their bodies than older people. This applies to all other substances besides Kratom, and it is due to issues like renal function and other factors like age-related changes in the body. If you are taking other medications, these can also slow down elimination. Generally, people aged above 65 will retain Kratom for longer periods in their systems.
- Body fat – mitragynine, the active substance in Kratom, is highly fat-soluble. This means that given a high-fat percentage in your body, you are likely to retain a higher amount of Kratom metabolites for much longer. People with less body fat eliminate Kratom faster in their urine since there is less fat in which to store it.
- Genetic factors – some people have specific genes and genetic markers that quicken the speed of Kratom removal. This makes them to naturally excrete Kratom faster or more efficiently than others who are less genetically predisposed.
- Your diet and hydration levels – taking Kratom with a high-fat meal can cause you to absorb Kratom much faster, so peak kratom concentration tends to develop faster. Also taking more water can quicken the speed at which Kratom is flushed out through urine.
- Type of Kratom – not all kratom varieties contain the same amount of mitragynine, and this can also affect elimination speed in the user’s body. Kratom obtained from South East Asia is richer in mitragynine compared with those grown outside South East Asia and in greenhouses.
- Frequency of kratom usage – it has been observed that those who use Kratom fewer times or use lower doses, tend to excrete it faster than those who use it more frequently or use higher doses. Kratom could typically take 5.5 days to completely clear from the body of a long term user.
- One’s renal function, urine PH, and metabolic rate can also influence the period of retention in the body of not only Kratom but other substances as well.
Many suggested Kratom drug tests are still at the theoretical stage and are still being formulated to be reliable methods. Other tests do exist but are rarely used in the US because Kratom is legal and so testing is rarely called for. Since the drug is new in the US and relatively less researched, information about it is mostly anecdotal, and most come from users in Thailand and other parts of Southern Asia where it has been used for ages.