A short intro Rhodiola Rosea
Are you feeling chronically tired, mentally drained, or just plain depressed? Or do you just want an explosive boost in energy in your system to perform a demanding task?
Our world was built to run on lots of energy, and that includes we humans who need it to perform to the level of perfection. So it can be a bit frustrating when the energy you need to function effectively isn’t there.
And sometimes, no matter what you eat or how hard you push your body, you can’t just come up with the needed energy to perform. Where do you turn to?
Could Rhodiola Rosea be the answer you have been searching for all this time? This wonder plant extract promises to supercharge your energy reserves and rid you both of your mental and physical fatigue, which can stand in the way of your performance.
But how different is Rhodiola Rosea and how effective is it in doing this? In this article, we go through the facts about this supplement to help you determine if it’s a good fit for you.
Also known by other names such as golden root, arctic root and king’s crown, Rhodiola Rosea is a herb that is native to the high-altitude areas of Asia and Europe.
For many centuries, it has been used as a medicine in these areas to treat such ailments as headaches, anemia, anxiety, fatigue, and depression.
This makes it ideal for use today not only for medical uses but also in bodybuilding and competitive sports for those who are looking to perform in the ideal mental and physical conditions.
What are the benefits of Rhodiola Rosea? The benefits of Rhodiola Rosea have been recognized through centuries of use and recent research as the following
- Stress – this supplement has been noted as a good adaptogen (substances that aid you in adapting better to certain situations). Bodybuilders or any persons facing an intense or demanding mental or physical task can benefit. The supplement has the effect of restoring the body’s normal balance and function after it has been exposed to risk. It also aids in dealing with burnout that affects those who do many, intensive repetitive tasks such as gym exercises. One study showed that this herb, when used as a supplement, actually reduced the amount of the stress hormone, cortisol in animals.
- Physical and mental fatigue – many trials show that taking this herb can reduce tiredness in both your body and mental states. More studies are needed to support this finding further
- Memory performance – some studies, such as one in 2000, showed a remarkable positive impact on memory and cognitive function on study participants. The study showed an 8.4% increase in test scores by those who used Rhodiola Rosea after they took 100 mg of it for 2 to 4 weeks.
- Fight off depression and anxiety –patients with mild depression have been shown to have their condition relieved by this supplement
- Relieving you of muscle pain and headaches
- Combating eating disorder brought on by stress – studies show that an active ingredient in the supplement called salidroside can reduce or eliminate binge eating. It also reduces stress hormone levels in the blood. The supplement can also treat anorexia that has been induced by stress
- Brain protection and treatment of neurodegenerative diseases – the supplement contains enzymes in it that have fascinating antioxidant powers to protect the brain and treat brain disorders. Apart from protecting neurons (i.e., brain cells) from damage and death, it has been shown to benefit people with diseases like Parkinson’s disease.
- Dealing with high blood pressure
- Anti-cancer properties
- Improve sleep quality
- Promoting longevity – in studies of animals, the supplement has been observed to increase lifespan by 20%
Ingredients and composition
One of the main ingredients in the herb that is mainly responsible for producing its benefits is rosavin. Rosavin is notable for its ability to control or reduce stress
Rhodiola Rosea is mostly considered to be safe for use. As long as it is taken for limited periods, typically to 10 weeks, for the recommended moderate daily dosages of between 50 mg and 680 mg, side effects are rare. It is also non-addictive and tolerated at this dosages by most adults.
Some of the side effects that are associated with the supplement are:
- Poor sleep
- Dry mouth
- Increased libido
How does Rhodiola Rosea Work?
Rhodiola Rosea seems to work in several ways to deliver the benefits it brings to users.
- Working through the acute ergogenic (performance enhancing) effect, the supplement works to reduce physical exhaustion
- Protecting the brain –The supplement’s property as an antioxidant is what provides brain protection. It does this by cleansing the brain of free radicals which have a toxic effect.
- Improving your mood – this is linked to the herb’s action on some neurotransmitters. For example, it stimulates the production of serotonin, which has the effect of promoting a feeling of happiness. On the other hand, the supplement also acts to block the stress hormone, corticosteroids.
- Longevity – Radhiola Rosea’s ability to significantly expand lifespan by 20% is linked to its action of caloric restriction. (if you take fewer calories than you need, this tends to lead to a longer lifespan)
Rhodiola Rosea comes in a variety of forms such as tablets, capsules, liquid extract, and dry powder.
It has been tested and found to be effective and safe at dosages of between 50 mg and 680 mg per day.
There is no one dosage to cover all cases. It will depend on age, weight, and one’s general health conditions.
Although higher doses have not been shown to be toxic, they will bring no benefits.
To avoid tolerance to Rhodiola Rosea, it is advised for users to cycle the supplement instead of using it continuously.
The supplement is to be taken 30 minutes before breakfast and lunch. It should be taken on an empty stomach. Do not take it close to bedtime in the evening because it can affect your sleep.
Note that the FDA does not classify supplements as drugs but as foods.
To get even more impressive results, you can also stack Rhodiola Rosea with other supplements. For example, Mind Lab Pro is a pre-formed nootropic that has 11 supplements to boost your cognition. It also includes Rhodiola Rosea in its formulation.
Price and availability
You could, in theory, ingest the Rhodiola Rosea plant but this is not a guaranteed way of getting the required daily dosage. Supplements are designed to deliver the correct required dosage to you.
Rhodiola Rosea is available in the market as supplements sold by various retailers. Some of these include
- GNC herbal plus Rhodiola extract – on GNC.com. This gives you 100 capsules. Each serving has 340 mg of the extract per serving
- Perfect Rhodiola Rosea Freeze Dried – on Amazon.com at the price of $21.95. Contains 60 capsules.
- Gala Herbs Siberian Rhodiola –sold on Amazon.com for the price of $16.67. Has 60 capsules
- Dr. Mercola’s Rhodiola extract – sold from Mercola.com at $17.95. Contains 30 capsules. Each serving has 340 mg of the extract per serving.
Who should not use Rhodiola
The supplement is a mild stimulant so its not recommended for people who are
- Are on other stimulants or who
- Have bipolar disorder
- People who are on anti-depressants,
- high or low blood pressure medications,
- or those on diabetic treatment (taking blood sugar drugs)
- drugs used for regulating the heart
The following persons should also not use Rhodiola Rosea.
- Pregnant women or mothers who are nursing
- If you have conditions such as
- Is a natural alternative for conventional medicine and so has few side effects
- It has a long history of use
- Not addictive and with good toleration by most people
- Scientific findings support many benefits such as better cognition, anti-fatigue, anti-stress and mood enhancement
- Affordable and widely available
- Sufficient research not yet done on all aspects of the supplement
- Not clear if tolerance is created with long term use
- Can interfere with sleep
Rhodiola Rosea is a powerful nootropic that has been around for eons, being used by many communities around the world to treat different diseases. It has very good research supporting it in terms of its tonic ability to make you handle stress better as well as enhance your mood and protect your brain from the hazards of oxidative damage.
It is a natural approach for treating conditions, and this makes it attractive from a safety level since it has minimal side effects.
Lastly, it is can increase your performance as an athlete or bodybuilder because of its positive effect on endurance, mental focus, stress relief, dealing with burnout and helping you heal and recover fast from muscle injuries.